5 - 5 ½ inches One of Americas favorite seafood delicacies. Caught just after shedding their hard outer shell (called "molting"), our crabs are carefully selected for their superior quality and size. The soft shells crabs are cleaned, frozen and ready to be prepared to your liking.
Prep & Ingredients
Did You Know
Our soft shell crabs are cleaned and ready to cook.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Next combine salt and flour in one bowl and 2 eggs beaten in another.
- Dip your soft shell in the egg bath then coat with the flour mixture or a soft shell batter.
- Place the crabs in the oil and let cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side.
- The shell will turn red and crisp and the batter a golden brown. Place the soft shell on a paper towel covered plate to absorb any extra oil.
- Serve as a sandwich or as a main course meal.
A crab becomes a soft shell when it goes through a molting phase. This means the crab is forming a new larger soft shell under its hard shell. The crab then sheds the hard shell and becomes a soft shell. Crabs only stay a soft shell for a few hours which make it more difficult to catch soft shells. Soft shells are in season May through October but you can get them frozen all year long.